Sunday, August 23, 2015

Harry Potter Read-along

I must confess... I have never read the Harry Potter series. I started multiple times, but somehow life always side-tracked me in the middle of book three.

But the time has come to practice what I preach. I believe writers are readers. I believe writers should be well-acquainted with their genre. I believe the classics are invaluable texts. And I know Harry Potter is a modern-day classic.

So, to help keep myself accountable, I made a public declaration - here on the blog as well as on FaceBook. And I thought it might be fun to invite others to join in the fun.

I plan to read all seven books by New Year's, 2016. Here is a preliminary reading schedule:

  • HP and the Sorcerer's Stone - Sept 4
  • HP and the Chamber's Secret - Sept 18
  • HP and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Oct 2
  • HP and the Goblet of Fire - Oct 23
  • HP and the Order of Phoenix - Nov 13
  • HP and the Half-Blood Prince - Dec 4
  • HP and the Deathly Hollows - Jan 2

If you would like to read-along as well, please consider completing the Mr. Linky form below, with a link to your blog post expressing your interest. (If you don't have a blog, no worries! You can still register for the event and be a part of the group).

If there is adequate enrollment, I would love to create a virtual book - a space where we can chat about the plot, the characters, the themes, the writing style... well, you get the idea.

I'm excited... I hope you are as well!




5 comments:

  1. I hope that you end up loving the books and racing through them to the end! I was charmed from the very first page of the first book, but I know of others (like my husband) who didn't really love the series until the later books (the fourth book and on for him). I absolutely love the audiobooks and usually have at least one of them on my music player as a fall-back choice for when I clean. Yesterday I was listening to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I know you've probably heard this before, but the books build on each other and become more complex as they go. I love listening to the earlier books and noticing time and again, how little details which seem unimportant at the time, turn out to have immense importance much later in the story.

    Good luck with your reading challenge! I can't wait to see what you think of the entire series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is why I want to start at the beginning (even though I have read Sorcerer's Stone multiple times). I want to experience the growth of the characters as well as the author :)

      I plan to write monthly reviews as I complete each novel.

      Delete
  2. I'm all for reading this series in order. Like Alyce says, things build and the characters certainly grow and change and become more complex. And the stories become more complex. Good luck with your challenge. I've read these books multiple time, have listened to them multiple times, love them, love them. I won't sign up for your challenge, but if you want to talk about them at any time, shoot me an email. I'll be glad to discuss them with you. Good luck, Molly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY ... I would love to discuss with you!
      My plan is to read a book then watch the corresponding movie.
      Perhaps we can "chat" after I finish both?

      Delete
  3. I am so excited to have a few readers join me on this literary adventure! I look forward to connecting with you as we finish each book in the series :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails