Sunday, December 2, 2012

Gearing Up....

Now that we are in the last month of 2012 I have concluded that this has been a transitional year.  For those of you who have followed my blog....2011 was a transformational year:  the death of my mother, the realization that I was now the matriarch of the family, the birth of my first grandchild, and the engagement of my son.  It was a lot to process and digest, and in hindsight, I think it was natural that this year would be one of limbo.

I have had a difficult time focusing on much of anything these past eleven months.  I have read very little, and what I have read has been mostly non-fiction photography books.  Since this blog originally began as a "book blog" you can understand how unusual this behavior is for me.  And while I have read a lot about photography, and started the year off strong participating in the 365 project, I have really done very little with this hobby since May.

Writing has been another passion of mine, but I just can't seem to commit enough to complete a project.  I was so excited to participate in NaNoWriMo this year, but petered out after the first week and a mere 8,000 words.  I have not "quit" --- and I will finish this story that has been rattling around in my head for nearly three years, but apparently 2012 was not the year to do it.

And for the first time in my adult life, I have experienced health issues.  Minor ones, but issues never-the-less.  An acute gall bladder attack led to emergency surgery, and three weeks later a serious bladder infection weighed me down as well.  While I do not wish to take a fatalistic view of these events, I do know that going forward I can expect even more health issues to slow me down --- and I have too much that I want to accomplish before I slow to a crawl. So it is for that reason  I have decided that 2013 will be a year of refocus.

I have missed blogging and I am ready to return to a writing routine that includes updating my personal blog as well as reading your blogs that I so enjoy.

I am ready to read more - and while I refuse to be tempted by the enticing book challenges offered in the blogosphere, I have already started collecting books for my own reading enhancement.  For some reason I have it in my mind that I would like to write a cozy mystery --- not with the purpose of being published, but just to see if I can do it.  I have currently collected about fifteen "first in the series" cozies to read and I am sure I will add more.  I will soon write a post outlining the titles of those  have chosen, and hopefully write a blog review for each one as I finish it.

I am also ready to travel - and while the budget is not quite at the level where I can take multiple trips overseas, I plan to start local and work my way out.  I have been researching fun day visits in the Kansas City area, as well as easy weekend get away spots.  I look forward to posting reviews of these travel connections, for anyone who might be interested.

There are other changes in the works as well, but I am not at liberty to speak of those just yet.  Suffice it to say, I am ready to move on with life.  I am excited to see what 2013 holds for me and my family.  And I am ready to reconnect with long-lost blogging friends.

10 comments:

  1. We are getting to the age when we understand just how fragile life is and just how important it is to enjoy it while we can. Good luck with your plans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly, I'm glad you're back. I've missed reading about you and your life. I'm sorry to hear about the health problems. I hope you're feeling much better now, and it sounds like you have some exciting plans for 2013. You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to hear from you again, Molly. I think it's natural as we enter our 50's that life holds many transitions... some we are are happy to embrace, while others prove to be more of a challenge.

    I was happy to see your post pop up this morning, and welcome your return to the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think 2013 sounds wonderful to me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really look forward to hear about all the changes you have planned in the upcoming year. I've been struggling myself...I am completely underwater with LIFE, and cannot keep up with the blogging and reading. I'm going to take January off and catch up. First time in four years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see you back Molly! 2012 was year of challenges and changes for me also. I'm looking forward to 2013 and excited to have you back to your blog again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A Transitional Year is fine, I think. After a tough year like 2011, I think it's perfectly ok to potter about and "tread water" for a while.

    I also can get overwhelmed by things so I can relate to quite a few of your blog posts.

    About the photography: I take photos as part of my profession, and I have found with digital cameras that one of the best ways to improve is to take loads of pics. The more you take, the more you learn, so I encourage to get out there and start snapping away. You don't have to keep them all - but the more you take, the more you have to choose from and the higher the chance that you will have a good pic in that bunch.

    Don't worry too much about the tech side of things: I just take the pics with not much looking at f-stops etc. Perhaps at some time I will get into that, but I am more interested in the end result right now.

    Scott Kelby has some really good how-to photog books if you're interested.

    liz in texas

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post made me smile~ :) I am right there with you on so many levels and like Sandy I feel pretty underwater with life most of the time lately! We can all muddle through together.
    *smiles and a hug*

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to have you back to blogging. Being the same age, I understand the transitions and transformations - and the need to refocus.

    Good luck with all your endeavors - and can't wait to hear about them. Especially the cozy mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you! You have inspired me this morning. I'm ready to challenge myself in 2013.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails