Saturday, July 16, 2011

Weekend Cooking: The Sweet Life in Paris

The Sweet Life in Paris
by David Lebovitz
Published by Broadway Books
copyright 2009
rating:  5 out of 5 stars

I went the to the bookstore the other night with absolutely no intention of buying.  The last thing I need is to bring another book into this house when I have literally shelves of books unread.  But in browsing the front tables I was initially drawn to the title of this book because...well....my mind is rather preoccupied with this topic lately.  I briefly skimmed the book and decided that it would be a good "research" book for my upcoming trip (I can rationalize just about anything under the guise of "research")

Anyway, I came home, started reading, and have not been able to put it down and while it has provided me with useful information prior to my adventure, I also know that I will re-read this book when I return with the hopes of recreating the taste of Paris by trying a few of the authentic French recipes.

Each chapter is divided into two separate parts:  one discusses some aspect of the Parisian culture that an American living there might find useful, such as....Parisians use a knife and fork to eat just about EVERYTHING and they rarely use their fingers (even when eating a banana).  Parisian shop owners would like to be treated with a bit of respect - a simple Bonjour Madame upon entering the store and an Au Revoir Monsieur upon leaving is just common courtesy as far as they are concerned.  And when ordering in a cafe, never order cafe au lait (apparently that is only served in the home - never in public) but rather order a cafe creme.

Not only did I find each chapter filled with practical advice, but I adored the author's sense of humor and his unique way of observing life (you can also visit his blog, David Lebovitz for further Parisian reviews).  It makes for a very pleasant read and even if you have no plans to live in Paris yourself, you may enjoy this literary escape to the culinary capital of the world.  For those participating in the Paris in July challenge, I think this would be an excellent choice.

There are numerous recipes that I wish to try when I return - many are dessert-type recipes such as Chocolate Macaroons, Dulce de Leche Brownies, and Salted Butter Caramel Sauce --- but there are also several savory dishes that have piqued my interest such as Tomato and Sourdough Bread Salad, Braised Turkey in Beaujolais Nouveau with Prunes, and Bacon and Bleu Cheese Cake.  Perhaps in the fall I can review a few of these for future segments of Weekend Cooking.

Until that time.....Bon Appetit!


19 comments:

  1. I've had that book for a while and need to read it! Shopkeepers expect to be greeted everywhere in France.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet there is a lot of Nutella in Paris....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how this perfect book pretty much just fell into your lap:) Soooo excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I would have had this before my recent trip. I hope you have a good time on yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to read this book just from the few factoids you included in your review: a knife and fork for a banana? And no cafe au lait in public?

    I will look forward to posts on your experience with the recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had this book on my TBR list for quite some time but just haven't gotten around to reading it. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a very useful book to read before your trip. Salted Butter Caramel Sauce catches my eye immediately! Not that I have a sweet tooth or anything. Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Research" always works as an excuse for me too. I'm very hopeful that pictures of some of the food you eat in Paris will be shared with us when you return. I'm excited for you Molly. This will be a wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't you just love unexpected treasures from the book store!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds very practical and a fun book for dreaming about (er, researching) a trip. Thanks for the link to the Paris in July challenge. I didn't know about that and I'm looking forward to exploring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love books like this - it looks like one I want to read.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always know when I go into a bookstore I'll come out with a few books. Those look like great finds!
    Here's My WC

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha Molly, I had to love out loud when I read your review. Yes, we weird Germans use fork and knife as well, although we still eat bananas like the monkeys (with our hands). I remember being pretty appalled in the beginning that even in restaurants people here eat with their fingers. By now I do it myself... oh my table manners are going down the drain. And the greeting when you enter and leaving a store just goes without question - same in Germany, probably all over Europe. I actually like this little sign of courtesy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I was rather surprised about the cafe au lait statement - never happened to me. Anymay, I put that book on my list, will look at the library for it. It sounds like a really good read.
    It sure was a "sign" that you found it right now...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yikes, it sounds like there is quite a bit of tourist etiquette that you need to become familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like an interesting book. I think with any city that gets a lot of tourists, the locals get a bit fed up with them. I'm sure no one would take offense to you eating fruit with your hands (I bet they don't cut up bananas in the privacy of their own homes).

    Some of those recipes sound delicious but I'm not sure about bacon and blue cheese cake. Bleurgh!

    ReplyDelete
  17. But of course you needed to have the book for research! It sounds so interesting though -- and Lebovitz is a great writer. Who knew you were to eat your banana with a knife and fork?

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is going to the top of my wish list! Great review, Molly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love Paris too, and have been doing quite a few Paris in July activities. How fantastic to be looking forward to a trip! I've been reading David Lebovitz's blog for a while now, but haven't read any of his books. This is the one that I'm eyeing off first. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails